Interview with Sarah Mendivel

1. How did you get the idea of this book?
I work a lot with kids and teens that are having a hard time with life experiences and the feelings that come with it. I used to work at a children's hospital in Chicago, IL where teenagers that were feeling depressed, anxious, or suicidal would come to get help. We would work together to learn about what made them sad, angry, and nervous, then team up to figure out what coping tools they could use to feel more successful in the world. This job was my most favorite job in the entire world because of how much I love teenagers and children. I happen to think you are all very special and it was important to me that you saw just how special you are, too. If you knew how important you were and saw yourself the way I do, you would do incredible things in this life. So, I wrote this book to try and help teens having a hard time to let them know that they can be okay. It's okay to feel lonely or stuck, but there are ways you can get out of those feelings and people that can help with that. This book recognizes that struggle and can hopefully be a friend during it.

2. Is there any personal experience related to the story? 
Yes, I had some personal experiences that I used to write a few parts of the book. Sometimes it can be scary to share secrets or things that we are ashamed of. But if you are brave enough to be the first to speak up about something, then it can make other people brave enough to share their secrets as well. There are lots of different kinds of secrets, but abuse is a really big one. I think if you ask someone to do something for the first time and it makes them nervous (like remembering their bad experience so they can get help), then you should be willing to do it yourself, too. The cool thing about being human is that we are all born with the same set of feelings (i.e. mad, sad, happy). This is important to know because it creates something called "the human experience", which means we are all having a mixture of the same type of feelings. If we realize all of us have these hard feelings, just like we all have the good, easy ones, then it can make parts of our lives feel less alone. We need to use each other for support. I found someone very special help me heal from the bad stuff that happened to me, and that is who I based Theory's character on. My real-life Theory was a therapist named Dr. Elaine Rado. I think everyone can have a Theory in their lives if they are courageous enough to look for one.

3. How long did it take to write the story?
It took me a year to write the book and a few more months to edit it. It was my first time writing a book and I didn't realize how much focus it would take! I get distracted easily and sometimes have a hard time being patient, so I would spend most of my time in a library or a cabin where it was super quiet to write. When I was finally alone, I would play the same Spotify playlist over and over again, then spend 5-10 hours a day writing. Sometimes I would write so much that I had a hard time remembering that my characters weren't real! I would go for a hike in real-life and think, "Hey, I wonder if Sam and the kids are nearby!" I think a lot of writers get lost in their own books though, which is why they end up being so realistic. Writing the book was fun, but it took a lot of endurance!

4. Was there any specific audience you targeted?
I wrote every single sentence of Sam's Theory with the memory of all of the teens and kids I have worked with. Even if I had only met them once and gave them a high five, they were in my heart as I wrote. This book is for every kid and teenager that has had a hard time with life and is looking for answers. Whether you have had scary stuff happen to you, don't know who your real parents are, have felt abandoned by someone special, or are just having a hard time connecting with your peers, this book is for you. This book is a safe place for teens to explore what life means to them and how they fit into it. Every single teenager is worthy and special. If you're having a hard time remembering that, please read this book so you know that you aren't alone. Someone absolutely cares about you, even if it's just me and these characters for now. There is always hope. 

5. Was it in your mind to make it a book which would be used in treatment centres or did it just happen?
That's a great question. All I knew I wanted for sure was for as many kids as possible to get their hands on it, even if it meant I needed to give it to them for free (which is why I make so many donations on my website). It wasn't until it got published that I started to realize that it would be perfect in treatment centers, alternative high schools, shelters, foster homes, etc. This book can be used anywhere and speaks to anyone who has a past, but I do love that it's being used in more concentrated areas that focus on healing.

6. Is writing your main profession or are you an expert in other fields?
I work as researcher and interventionist. This means I look at what happens to a kid's brain, body, and feelings after something bad happens to them, then think of ways to help. I also work with kids and their parents to help them be healthier at home together. My favorite thing to do, though, is speak to groups of kids. I am hoping that this book will give me more chances to do that. Soon I will be visiting schools, shelters, and conferences to teach kids about the cool things they are capable of.

7. Did you always wanted to be a writer?
Actually, as silly as it might sound, my dream job has always been to be a therapist. But, I was extremely shy growing up and it was really difficult talking about my feelings out loud, so I learned to write. I used writing and art to escape my stress and did it so much that I eventually got good at it. I think I always had the secret daydream to grow up and be a famous writer/speaker, but I needed it to be about something super important. I can't imagine a more worthy cause than helping kids find their voice. I remember a college professor once telling me, "Sarah, success is looking at what you have to do and what you want to do, and realizing they're the same thing." This book and the work I do with teens is my version of success.

8. Last but not the least, is there any message you would like to give to your readers?
I want my readers to know that they are not alone and that they can be okay, even if they still live in a messy situation. They have a right to know that even though horrible, ugly things may have happened to them, there is still magic in this world that they can access. Use your imagination to create possibilities and beauty. If there isn't a safe place near you, create one within you that no one else can touch. I don't care how many times someone has been mean to you or pushed you around; you need to know that you are still worth something. The real you isn't gone, it's just buried under a mess. When it's safe enough, you can uncover that authentic person and rise. Rise until you are bigger than whatever beat you down. Chose a star in the sky and then spend the rest of your life, if you have to, fighting like heck to climb towards it. You are lovable, capable, and incredible. Never, ever, ever forget that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Thank you so much Sarah for sparing your time and for working with me. It was  truly, a lovely experience!

I suggest all of you to go and order Sam's Theory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sam's Theory | A Book Review.

Student Internships | What I Did, Applying, General Tips

Interview with Sebastien Skubala!