1st Year of Law School | modules, exams, tips

For me, 1st Year of uni seemed very long. It honestly felt like it was never-ending and after November, the assignments, the work load, the exams, it all doubled in quantity. However, I did enjoy it.  For someone like me, who studied Physics and Biology and Chemistry in high school and did not pay attention to essay writing or critical thinking, the first semester was challenging because I was suddenly exposed to things I wasn't used to. But of course, with a little understanding and practice, I ended up getting distinctions and merits. 

So I have listed down the modules I took in Year 1, along with the general exam pattern and essential things to remember about them. 
1. Contract Law
I've said this before, I'll say it again, Contract Law was my favourite module. 

Exam Pattern: Generally, Contract Law exams give you an option to either answer the Problem Questions or write an Essay.
I always preferred answering Problem Questions because it's easier to score in them (or so I felt).

Tips: If answering a Problem Question, don't forget the IRAC format. I cannot stress this enough, IRAC is the key factor in solving a problem question.  IRAC means;

  • I - Issue
  • R - Rule
  • A - Application/Analysis
  • C - Conclusion

   1. Each of your paragraphs should be based on IRAC. After reading the question, make a note of all the issues present in the case. Then, start every paragraph with stating the issue, for example;

"The first issue in this case is, whether Mr. X's advert is an Invitation to Treat, or a Unilateral Offer."

   2. Follow that with stating the Rule. Rule could be either a definition set out by a Case Law, or could be an actual rule derived from a statute that is governing the subject matter of your issue. Following the above example, you could say;

"According to Fisher v Bell [1961] 1 QB 394, an Invitation to Treat is ... Contrarily, a Unilateral Offer, set by Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company [1892] EWCA Civ 1, is ......"

So, Fisher v Bell and Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company becomes the rule, the definition of the issues faced in the case. 

   3. Your next sentence should be the Application. This is when you apply the rules in the issue and analyze the outcome of the issue. For example;

"According to Fisher v Bell, Mr. X's advert is an Invitation to Treat because the advert ..."

   4. You must end your paragraph with a Conclusion. As it suggests, it concludes the analysis of the issues faced and the rules that are applicable to them. For example;

"Hence, the advert published by Mr. X is not a Unilateral Offer, but an Invitation to Treat."


2. Public Law
Exam Pattern: Initially, all of our Public Law exams were essay questions, in which you had an option of answering one of them. The modules toward the end of our year offered some Problem Questions. Still, Public Law was mostly essays. 

Tips:  If it's a Problem Question, follow IRAC. If it's an essay question, PEE is what you should follow. PEE stands for;

  • P - Point
  • E - Evidence
  • E - Explanation
   1. Start the paragraph with the Point you're trying to argue, such as;

"There is separation of powers in the UK Constitution to a certain degree."

   2. You then provide Evidence supporting your argument. You could cite articles, judgements, statutes, books, or reports;

"This is reflected by the Constitutional Reform Act 2005 which ..."

   3. Explanation, as it suggests, is explaining how your point and evidence corelate and arriving at a conclusion. 

3. English Legal System
ELS was a lot of reading. It was primarily reading and research about how the UK's legal system evolved, a lot of Alternate Dispute Resolution was talked about, and it's history. And of course, a lot of writing.  

Exam Pattern: Two or three essay questions (depending on what exams they are), out of which you have to answer one or two of them. 

Tips: The main tip I can share is research well. I have a little format through which I summarize any articles I read, which I might make a separate post about. It's primarily about having enough information ready about the topic that is going to be asked about.

4. Legal Method
Legal Method is also called Legal Skills or Ethics if I'm not wrong. I did not enjoy any of the assignments of this module all year, except the Moot. The Moot was my favourite part in the entire academic year. I will talk about this later on.


ANYWAY, that was a little summary of what I did in my first year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sam's Theory | A Book Review.

Interview with Sebastien Skubala!

Mappen | App Review